Translate

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Self-Worth



“ I think, overall people find me boring to talk to'
“I mess up everything I touch”
“When some one criticizes me, I can not help but feel that I really am incompetent.”
“I think I am a failure”
“I am not confident I've done a good job unless someone else points it out”
“I fall short of my expectations”

Do these statements look familiar and are you identifying yourself with one or more statements? Then its time to develop self-worth, the foundation of our ability to believe in ourselves.

Self- worth is how we value ourself. It comes from a source on the INSIDE of us. 

As per famous Psychology theories, self-worth is formed in our early developmental years.  Parents and environment around us (physical, emotional and social)  have a major share in influencing growth of self-worth.

Irrespective of what  feelings of self, we have formed in our early years,  the beauty of human mind is, positive change is possible at any stage of our life.

Here are few small ways to develop self-worth:


  • First, understand the power of your attitude toward yourself and views about yourself. Because if we do not respect ourselves, the world also mirrors the same.
  • Evaluate what core values you have and improve them if necessary. Sow positive thoughts , values and reap success and happiness.
  • Trust your own feelings, both positive and negative. Examine the negative ones and try to minimize them. Its OK  to have negative feelings, just they need to be tamed so as to not hurt us and others.
  • Develop self-love. You need to be the first one, who loves yourself the most. Then you can show the world clearly your dreams and aspirations. And accomplish them. Do not fear to self-love.

  • Constantly, analyze yourself and motivate yourself to develop self-esteem,no less and no more.


And finally, at least once in a day say to yourself how worthy you are, by using statements like:

“I deserve to be loved and respected.”

“I am a worthy person.”

“Someone who stands up to me or disagrees with me may still very well like and respect me.”

“ In case of need, I know people who care enough about me to offer their help.”

“I know  clearly about my strengths and core values on which I base my attitudes.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment